9.08.2008

Farmer's Market Finds and Frozen Fish

After an almost catastrophic milkcrate fall on my way home from the farmer's market on Sunday, my vegetables in the crate came out unscathed.  Lesson learned; when biking with a milkcrate, check to make sure it is secure every time!  Anyway, everything was okay, thank goodness, since I had tiny little cherry tomatoes in there.  I wanted to use them since they were very ripe, and I had a bag of frozen tilapia filets that I got for a great sale price at Wegmans.  I figured I could come up with a tasty way to combine them, and after poking around I came up with what ended up being quite a tasty, heathy dinner.

ROASTED CHERRY TOMATOS AND TILAPIA
-defrosted tilapia fillets, one per person
-1 pint ripe cherry tomatoes, give or take depending on number of fillets, cut in half
-6-8 garlic cloves, peeled, again, adjusted according to number
-olive oil
-salt and pepper
-2 tbsp fresh herbs, chopped (I used basil and parsley)

-Preheat the over to 400 degrees.
-Coat the bottom of a baking dish with olive oil, and add the tomatoes and garlic.  Roast for 12 minutes.
-In the meantime, season both sides of the fish with salt and pepper.
-After the initial roasting is done, remove the baking dish and nestle the fish into the tomatoes.  Sprinkle the herbs over everything and return the dish to the oven.  Roast for another 7 minutes, until the fish is flakey.  Serve!

I served this with a side of Near East brand rice, Sundried Tomato and Basil flavor.  This dinner was made on a night when I really didn't feel like cooking, but it was so easy it still turned out well.  I mean, you barely do anything to prep this.  The big flavor of the tomatoes steals the show without any extra effort on your part, and the fish gives the dish substance.  Use this recipe now and take advantage of the end of Jersey tomato season!

No comments: