9.20.2008

Corn "Chowder"

I have fulfilled my own prediction. Another soup post. Tonight, it was not so much the weather as my schedule that made me decide on this recipe. This one is as quick as it is tasty. First off, I should thank my mom, since this is her recipe that I have been enjoying for years. Tonight is the first time I have taken a stab at it, and it was just as delicious as it is out of her kitchen. The "chowder" part of the recipe is slightly deceiving; this is not your traditional chowder. No bacon fat, no milk, no cream. I suppose it isn't really chowder at all, but the name stuck, and it is a thick and almost creamy-textured soup. There is also an extremely short list of ingredients, which is always good on an evening that you just don't have time to stop at the store to pick anything up. Anyway, here's the recipe.

CORN "CHOWDER"
-1 can whole kernal corn, preferably no salt added
-2 cans corn, creamed style
-1 can vegetable stock, low sodium
-1 onion, small diced
-3 potatoes, small diced (I used 5 smaller potatoes tonight)
-2-3 tbsp butter
-black pepper

-In a pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and potatoes, and saute about 5 minutes.
-Add the stock, and bring to a simmer. Cook the potatoes until they are tender, 10-15 minutes.
-Add the 3 cans of corn and stir to combine. Add black pepper to taste. Cook for 10-15 minutes more. Serve.

That's it! The only thing I added was some parsley, strictly for color and a little freshness. This is by no means necessary to the recipe's success, so if you don't have it, don't worry. I just happen to have an enormous amount of parsley in my garden that needs using. I served this soup with a small french roll, and it was just enough for a filling dinner. This recipe is a great way to avoid take-out or some other generally unsatisfying dinner options on a busy night. The ingredients are easy to keep on hand, and it takes only about 30 minutes to prepare. The next time you think you don't have time to cook, pull this recipe out and give it a shot. You can thank my mom!

No comments: