8.25.2008

Pasta and Veggies

That title could mean anything.  And over time it will, as this is a match made in heaven.  Tonight I figured I would do a pasta dish since I always have it on hand, and I didn't have a lot of time.  I decided to mix it up and do a baked pasta, probably because I am craving fall weather and warm comfort foods.  Anyway, I had some farmer's market and garden veggies that needed using, so I made a variation on a common theme in my house.

ROASTED VEGGIE BAKED PASTA
-1 box short pasta (I used rotini)
-1 large bell pepper, diced (I used yellow)
-1 zucchini, diced
-1 onion, diced
-2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-1/2 cup frozen peas
-1/4 cup fresh herbs, chopped (I had basil, parsley, and oregano)
-1 tbsp. dried herbs du provence
-1 tsp. dried red chili flake
-salt, pepper
-12 oz. shredded cheese (I used a mix of mozzarella and pecorino romano)
-1/3 cup bread crumbs
-2 tbsp. shredded pecorino romano
-olive oil

-Preheat the oven to 425.  Arrange the peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, and garlic on a baking sheet.  Toss with olive oil, and add the dried herbs, salt, and pepper.  Roast for 12-15 minutes, until tender.
-In the meantime, cook the pasta until al dente.  Drain and set aside.
-Mix together the bread crumbs and 2 tbsp. shredded cheese.  Stir in a tbsp. or two of the olive oil.  Set aside.
-When the veggies and pasta are done, toss them together in a large bowl.  Add the shredded cheese, frozen peas (no need to defrost), and fresh herbs.  Stir to combine. 
-Transfer mixture to a large baking dish.  Top with the breadcrumb mixture.
-Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until browned on the top.  Serve.

This will serve a least 5 people, so needless to say, I have a lot of leftovers I am very excited to eat for lunch this week.

This recipe is so easy to tweak.  It's great with mushrooms, squash from any season, artichokes, and spinach.  I've also made it with fontina cheese, which is really tasty and melts perfectly in this dish.  The recipe can cater to just about anyone's vegetable preferences.  I highly recommend giving this a try, but maybe wait until the air starts to get cool, and it will be that much more appetizing when it comes out of the oven piping hot.

No comments: