8.21.2008

Lack of Time + Leftovers

Yesterday was a busy day.  I had work til 5pm, plans to play tennis with a friend at 6pm, and dinner to cook after that.  Boboli pizza crust to the rescue!  I swear by these things.  They taste great, they're versatile, and they are quick.  I try to keep one in the fridge all the time.  Anyway, I also had a whole mess of cherry tomatoes, onion, herbs, and mozzarella sitting in a bowl in the fridge.  If you checked out my last post, you will see that this was leftover filling from the stuffed pepper recipe.  I didn't know what to do with it so I packaged it up, and then it dawned on me to put it on the Boboli crust, cheese and all.  I also had eggplant fresh from the garden, so I (actually Mark, while I was at work) roasted that up so we could put that on the pizza as well.  A little sprinkle of extra cheese and some fresh herbs topped it off.

LEFTOVER CHERRY TOMATO AND ROASTED EGGPLANT PIZZA
-Boboli pizza crust (or something similar)
-cherry tomato mixture (see last post's link)
-8 oz. can tomato sauce
-1 large eggplant, diced
-breadcrumbs
-olive oil
-shredded mozzarella
-assorted chopped herbs (I used basil, parsley, and oregano)

-Preheat the oven to 425.
-Toss the diced eggplant in olive oil, and then in the breadcrumbs.  Spread out on a cookie sheet and roast for 10-12 minutes, until tender.
-Rub some olive oil over the pizza crust.  Spread tomato sauce out over the crust.
-Top the crust with the cherry tomato mixture and the roasted eggplant.
-Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella over the top.
-Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the top of the pizza is golden brown.
-Remove from the oven and immediately top with the chopped herbs.  Serve.

As you can see this is quick, and a great way to use leftovers.  This works with pretty much any vegetable you have on hand, whether it's leftover, fresh, or even canned.  Go crazy!  If you like what you're putting on the pizza crust, you'll like it even more this way.  A couple of my favorite variations:
-Roasted squash, onion, and bell pepper pizza.
-Roasted tomato, onion, and artichoke pizza.

No comments: