10.30.2009

Vegetarian's Delight

After a few days of being stuck eating crummy restaurant and take out type food, I felt the need to make a really tasty, healthy dinner. This is one of the few times my meals actually looked like a "normal" meal; the burger, the veggie, and the starch! I made chickpea walnut burgers, served on lettuce leaves and topped with avocado and tahini sauce. On the side I made sauteed brussels sprouts in mustard sauce along with honey roasted sweet potato wedges.

CHICKPEA WALNUT BURGERS
-1 15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed
-1/2 onion, chopped
-4 cloves garlic
-1/4 cup parsley
-1/2 cup breadcrumbs
-1 tbsp cumin
-half a lemon worth of juice
-3/4 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
-1 egg

-Pulse onion and garlic in the food processor.
-Add chickpeas, parsley, bread crumbs, cumin, and lemon juice and pulse until combined.
-Stir in the egg and the walnuts.
-Form into four patties. At this point it's a good idea to chill the patties for at least 15 minutes so they are easier to work with. If you can chill them for up to an hour, even better.
-In a skillet, add some oil and heat to medium. Cook the burgers until browned on both sides and heated through, about 10-12 minutes total.
-Serve over romaine lettuce leaves and top with whatever you like (I used avocado and tahini sauce).

I had a couple extra patties, so I froze them, and I'm looking forward to heating them up for an easy lunch. I think I will put the patties over a salad this time, and maybe add some more raw veggies and a homemade vinaigrette. These patties can also be eaten more true to burger form; sesame seed bun, tomato slices, and red onions would work.

No comments: