10.19.2009

Red Lentil Soup and Walnut Salad

We are full swing into soup weather. When I grocery shopped last weekend, I included ingredients for a big batch of red lentil soup on my list, and I've been looking forward to it ever since. I first made this recipe last year when I found it in the New York Times. I don't deviate much at all from the original recipe. I make my own curry powder using cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, and cinnamon, so I just make enough to total the 6 tsp of spices the recipe calls for. I also swap vegetable stock in place of the chicken stock, and skip the lime juice. Finally, I garnished with fresh parsley and some homemade curried croutons (so good, just sprinkle cubed bread with curry spices, a drizzle of canola oil, and bake at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes).

I usually work in some raw veggies to my meals, especially if the main course isn't heavily vegetable based. I had some walnuts kicking around since I had purchased a big tub of them to make walnut bread last week, so I decided to work them into a fresh salad to jazz it up. The recipe below makes enough for 2, so multiply as needed.

WALNUT SALAD
-1 large romaine heart, chopped
-2 stalks celery, sliced
-1 carrot, sliced
-3/4 cup walnut halves or pieces
-2 tbsp brown sugar
-2 tbsp water
-dash cayenne pepper
-2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
-1 tsp mustard
-1 tsp honey
-2 tbsp red wine vinegar
-3 tbsp walnut oil

-Divide the lettuce, celery, and carrots between two salad bowls.
-Make the candied walnuts. Heat the brown sugar over medium high heat in a saucepan. Once it starts to melt, add the water and stir to make a syrup. Add the walnuts and stir constantly until the walnuts have picked up most of the syrup. Add a dash of cayenne pepper, stir, and remove from the heat. Spread the nuts out on a sheet pan covered in foil, and bake for about 5 minutes (until just fragrant and lightly colored) at 450 degrees. Remove the nuts, let them cool, and then divide them between the salads.
-Make the walnut vinaigrette. Whisk together the parsley, mustard, honey, and vinegar. Drizzle in the walnut oil while whisking and continue to whisk until emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and divide evenly over the salads.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Hey Lauren! This looks great! I too have a blog--I don't share on facebook though, to many yuck people on there! LOL! Anyway, thanks for sharing, I love lentils!!

Shaheen said...

I live in Scotland and the weather here to is now that of Soups, stews and comfort food.

Your soup looks really comforting, good one for a rainy day like today.

Lauren said...

Thanks for the kind words! Rainy or snowy days are my favorite soup making weather.