10.07.2008

Red Pepper Risotto

One of my favorite dishes to make in the cooler seasons is risotto. It may sound like a fancy dish you only get in a restaurant, but this is a total myth. You can make risotto with pantry ingredients any night of the week, and you can add just about any kind of vegetable you like. I usually make a mushroom risotto (that's another entry), but I felt like trying something new last night. I remembered a recipe I had seen in the New York Times last week, so I decided to give it a try. You can find the recipe here. Once you make a successful risotto for the first time, you will be hooked. It is well worth the 20-25 minutes of stirring, I promise. And since most risotto recipes call for wine, pairing your dinner with your beverage is already done for you. This recipe could be made vegan by skipping the cheese, but personally, I don't recommend it. As we all know, I am a cheese fiend, and it adds even more creaminess to the rice when added towards the end.

The only thing I needed from the store was saffron threads. I finally sucked it up and bought them. Saffron is a spice that is actually from the reproductive parts of the crocus flower. As you may know, saffron costs more than gold. This stuff averages anywhere from $500 to $5000 per pound. Luckily for us, saffron is something you use very sparingly. You can find it in most grocery stores these days, and it is really worth keeping around. It adds a very unique flavor (that is actually very hard to describe) and a fantastic golden color to food. It definitely adds something special to any meal. It worked well with the red peppers in this dish, and honestly, I think it would be a disservice to skip it. So don't fear the seemingly high price tag on saffron; just keep it in a air tight container and it will last you. And it will add a layer of flavor that it pretty much impossible to get anywhere else.

No comments: