10.12.2008

Not Quite Homemade Soup

Let's face it. While I'd love to make soup from scratch every night of the week, it is simply impossible. Some nights just don't have enough hours and minutes in them to do it. Luckily, I have discovered some good starters that I trust. One of them is Bean Cuisine. I have had a few different varieties, but my favorite by far is Lots of Lentil. The way this works is, the mix provides the lentils (or beans depending on the variety) and the spices. You provide the veggies, stock, and meat if you choose.

Lots of Lentil is very easy. You add carrots, onions, garlic, a can of diced tomatoes, and veggie stock. That's it. The package provides the rest, including a spice packet that smells incredible. Toss in a little salt and pepper and you're done. This does take a while to cook, but rest assured that the package recommends a lot more time than is needed. On Lots of Lentil, it suggests 1.5 to 2 hours at a simmer, but after 45 minutes, my lentils were tender and done.

These soup starters make a ton of soup, so it's a good bet if you plan on freezing it or sharing it. I made this a few nights ago for just Mark and I and packed the fridge with leftovers. Today I brought them to a friend's to reheat and share during Sunday football. If you want a big batch of hearty, homemade tasting soup, give Bean Cuisine a try. Once you do, your pantry won't be without this staple.

No comments: